H-B Packaging Group
Creative Packaging since 1876
Benjamin Slade Buffinton was born in Swansea, MA in 1833 to a Quaker Family. By trade he was a wheel maker, and later a carriage business in Warren, RI.
In 1873 A.J. Davis established a paper box manufactory on Water Street in Warren. In 1876, Buffinton acquired the business and changed the name to B.S. Buffinton.
By 1880 the firm was moved to Joyce Street and employed 25 people as an stablished supplier to the Jewelry Trade. Sometime after 1891 he moved the business to 363 Eddy Street in Providence, in the heart of the jewelry district.
His son, Frank Herbert Buffinton, a Jeweler by trade soon joined the firm, and the name was changed to F.H. Buffinton Company.
His son, Frank Herbert Buffinton, a Jeweler by trade soon joined the firm, and the name was changed to F.H. Buffinton Company Benjamin passed away in 1907. On Jan 15, 1920 the firm was incorporated in the State of RI. FHB was one of about a dozen paper box manufactories in Providence early in the 20th century. The largest being Jencks Paper Box owned by the Jencks brothers who also owned a large paper mill in Pawtucket. The Company moved to 134 Thurbers Avenue after a fire on Eddy Street, and remained there for the next 47 years.
In 1935 Oscar Carnevale established Hope Paper Box Company in Cranston, RI. After his passing, his brother Ezio Carnevale toolk control of the company. The company specialized in chipboard boxes and partitions for many industries. The company remained in the Carnevale family for many years.
In 2001 Hope Paper Box merged with FHB to form H-B Packaging Group, and consolidated into the FHB plant in Central Falls, RI.